Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Next Meeting - 7 April 5:00pm CET

https://zoom.us/j/453590365

Dial by your location

Meeting ID: 453 590 365

 Click here to expand...

France

+33 7 5678 4048
+33 1 7037 9729

Germany

+49 69 7104 9922
+49 30 3080 6188
+49 30 5679 5800

Sweden

+46 850 539 728
+46 8 4468 2488

United Kingdom

+44 203 966 3809
+44 203 051 2874
+44 203 481 5237
United States

   +1 646 876 9923

   +1 669 900 6833

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aeDLu354w5

Agenda

  • graphql and nodeJS installation
  • staffing the EDS PoC
  • PoC planning
  • AOB
  • Backlog

     Click here to expand...

    Backlog

    • Android Compatibility Definition Document
    • Software architectural task force : Vehicle Data architecture for Android
    • Comparison of how vehicle properties are managed by Android 9 and 10 (Q) - further inputs
    • question to address in the group: what do participating companies intend to do with the JAPI (Java API similar to CommonAPI for Android) ? this building block is currently missing
    • Signal to service translation
    • Secure access control in Some/IP


External Data Server Proof-Of-Concept - Work Breakdown Structure

Friday 27 March March - 200pm CET

Participants

  • Alex, Stefan, Philippe

Agenda

  • authentication service implementation (work sharing between BMW & TietoEVRY)
  • AOB

Minutes

1. BMW has implemented the Service for Authentication:

  • Service written in Kotlin - conclusion: Android buildsystem does not support Kotlin yet - needs to be rewritten if integrated in platform
  • IPC between Service - App done manually - conclusion: can be rewritten to hide boilerplate via AIDL generators
  • JWT kept internally as string with payload: uid + permissions as a List<String>
  • Secretkey to sign JWT shared manually (i.e. no single point of encrypted storage) - Action to be put in the backlog: "Decide and configure storage of secret between Server and Clients")
  • Example permissions exposed in AndroidManifest

2. BWM has implemented the Client application to use Authentication Service:

  • JWT retrieved as bundle - can be reworked for AIDL object
  • Connection to GraphQL not analyzed, but not that relevant for the scope of Authentication Service

3. The code is not shared yet because of process of licensing and OSS check by BMW

4. We had a little session about finding similarities/improvements/possible reusage of https://github.com/GENIVI/aasig_dev_platform/tree/develop/vendor/genivi/modules/vssandroidservice

5. Based on conclusions from point 4, TietoEVRY proposed - since kotlin implementation needs to be rewritten eventually - to provide Java implementation containing:

  • Proper buildsystem support: Android.bp for future platform integration + gradle for development
  • AIDL definition that is more developer friendly and can be easily kept as "compiled" .jar library for 3rd party development of Applications
  • Functionality of Service will be the same as BWM kotlin implementation
  • MPL 2.0 license

Tuesday 24 March - 500pm CET

Participants

  • Alex, Stefan, Piotr, Johan, Nadim, Bartosz Cichosz, Stephen, Philippe

Agenda

  • authentication implementation (work sharing between BMW & TietoEVRY)
  • graphql and nodeJS installation
  • staffing the EDS PoC (again !)
  • AOB

Minutes

authentication implementation

  • Alex: I was preempted by internal projects again, although I did some work on graphql
  • Stefan: we need to schedule a meeting

  • Alex: we can have a meeting on Thursday at 10-11:30am CET

  • Stefan: will send an invitation DONE

graphql and nodeJS installation

  • Alex: I need to package what I have done in a container in order to make my work easy to reuse
  • Stefan: can you give us a snapshot of what you have done ?
  • Alex: yes, Alex shows the schema representing the vehicle data he is using for the testing of graphql together with some queries
  • Philippe: it would be good that team participants have a look at the Apollo GraphQL documentation to get more familiar with the approach: https://www.apollographql.com/
  • /TODO/ all participants to look at the Apollo GraphQL documentation: https://www.apollographql.com/

Next week's All Hands call preparation

  • Philippe: I may have to escalate the situation and report that AASIG VHAL team have difficulties to staff the poc
  • (added offline): as in all collaborative projects, it would be good that each participant consider spending a little bit more time than attending the calls and reading the minutes, otherwise everyone gets the impression the work is stuck
  • Stefan: point 13 of the WBS (Define GraphQL schema - what does it look like?) was actually done by Alex as he showed the schema today
  • Alex: agreed, I have the schema but something is still missing
  • Stefan: we need to have something to get started on the other work items
  • Stefan: we need also to agree on the data format
  • discussion follows on how to bootstrap the work
  • Stefan: will work out some prototype code and show it at the next VHAL call
  • Philippe: next week's call will be the AASIG All-Hands call on 31 March at 17:00 CET (watch out: there is a time change scheduled on 28-29 March in Europe)
  • Philippe: next VHAL call will be scheduled on 7 April at 17:00 CET

Tuesday 17 March - 500pm CET

Participants

  • Alex, Sachin, Stefan, Piotr, Johan, Stephen, Gunnar, Philippe

Agenda

  • authentication implementation (work sharing between BMW & TietoEVRY)
  • graphql and nodeJS installation
  • staffing the EDS PoC (again !)
  • AOB

Minutes

authentication implementation

  • Stefan and Alex will clarify their mutual contribution to this topic this week

graphql and nodeJS installation

  • Alex: this is on my todo list for this week

staffing the EDS PoC (again !)

  • Sachin: the people I contacted at Daimler acknowledged my demand for implementtersn, no positive feedback yet,, will continue to ping them
  • then the participants resume the review of the work breakdown and discuss the candidate technologies to implement the components
  • work item #7 - agree on PoC use cases for the implementation

    • Stefan: during the F2F meeting, we said we will use the battery voltage for an EV and also the tyre pressure and air conditioning information

    • All: an EV application is the right app to develop for a demo

      • we will show the battery status and battery consumption during a drive

    • Stefan: Tieto evluated the GENIVI vehicle simulator available in github, this simulator can provide some of the data we needed like the property of speed during a drive
    • Johan: opends used in W3C is also a candidate, link:  https://opends.dfki.de/, configuration files are written in xml,
    • Gunnar: one of these simulators would be the data provider box  in the PoC block-diagram for the use case showing the vehicle speed or other vehicle signals like the tyre pressure and a simple simulation covering the EV signals (alternate data signal feeder) would be used for the demo use case showing the battery status and battery consumption
    • Tieto is analysing the simulation aspects for the PoC
  • work item #9 - Select and implement feeder input API → how feeder writes data into the "shared database"
    • Alex: do we take a database or in-memory hash values ?

    • Gunnar: the feeder is writing the values into the database, this work item is just the interface to the database, whatherver is coming from outside needs to be stored internally

  • work item #10 - VSS data server component - supporting technos

    • Alex: I will add a description on how to install graphql on ubuntu but what about using a virtual box where everything is installed ?

    • Gunnar: it would be ideal to package it that way

    • Stefan: we said we would run it on docker, this is another possible solution

    • Philippe: reminds the demo execution architecture, we will one laptop running the EDS on Linux and for the IVI unit either one laptop running the Android simulator or a target board like R-Car or NXP

    • discussion on the selection of docker vs virtual box

    • *decision* docher is the environment we will use

    • graphql and nodejs will run on docker

  • work item #11 - Implement the connection between the access protocol (GraphQL) and the fetching/writing of data into the database

    • discusison on VSS representation and graphql schema

    • Alex: I have something already and can possibly provide it although it needs some refactoring, I need to check with my management

    • Alex:I  can show what I have done in the next call

  • work item #14

    • this is the graphql query, it corresponds to the implementation of the resolver function in graphql

  • work item #15

    • this work is included in workitem 14 but wiriting, a writing function in graphql is called a mutation function

  • other work items
    • discussion not captured, look at the WBS wiki page
  • discussion on whether we add a column in the WBS table to capture the technologies used before capturing the volunteers' names
  • decision: no change in the table for the time being
  • /TODO/ all participants to review the work items and decide which one(s) they would take over
  • work items descriptions are in the following wiki page External Data Server Proof-Of-Concept - Work Breakdown Structure

Tuesday 10 March - 500pm CET

Participants

  • Roman (Harman, just observer), Andrii, Stefan, Piotr, Johan, Gunnar, Philippe

Agenda

  • authentication implementation
  • graphql and nodeJS installation
  • call for volunteers
  • AOB
    • AMM preparation

Minutes

authentication implementation

  • Stefan: was too busy to sync on work sharing between BMW & TietoEVRY with Alex,on my todo list for this week

graphql and nodeJS installation

  • skipped

call for volunteers

  • Philippe: reminds that the team priority should be now to volunteer for taking over some tasks on the EDS PoC work breakdown structure (link to the relevant wiki page is on the top)

AMM preparation

  • Philippe: we do not whether the Spring AMM will be physical or virtual; decision will be made soon by the GENIVI board of directors
  • Philippe: however we are planning actively the content of the sessions; there will 6 sets of sessions
    • looking forward
    • AASIG projects on VHAL & Audio HAL
    • Cloud & Connected Services projects on Vehicle Data Model and Vehicle2Cloud Communication Infrastructure
    • Cybersecurity
    • In-vehicle payment
    • Connected Vehicle Software Development

Adjourned: 5:20pm CET

Tuesday 3 March - 500pm CET

Participants

  • Alexander, Sachin, Andrii, Stefan, Piotr, Johan, Stephen, Gunnar, Philippe

Agenda

  • project plan update - filling workitem description and definition of done
  • proof-of-concept implementation resourcing
  • AOB

Minutes

proof-of-concept implementation resourcing

  • Stephen: can provide support for the R-Car target board and Lava test farm
  • Gunnar: since we intend to use graphql technology for the VSS data server component, this is off-the-shelf
  • Sachin: it is difficult to get support from internal teams, I need to involve open source people at Daimler, I need two more weeks before providing feedback
  • Stefan: presents TietoEVRY proposed contribution
  • Stefan: we will use the Android emulator and AOSP 10.0 for this development
  • Gunnar: FYI Stefan's code was merged in the development branch
  • Stefan: this work was mostly related to a former approach than the External Data Server (EDS)
  • Alex joins

Authentication

  • Alex: we are using Apollo graphql server which needs an addition for web token management, and other stuff we are working on, I have discussed which contribution we could do with Markus
  • BMW has the blue box on the right box (authentication) (look at the EDS architecture diagram)
  • BMW has only the EDS implementation, not the Internal Data Server one
  • Alex: the permissions are not yet what we need
  • discussion on the work to do for the authentication and the access control groups
  • Gunnar: we need to do a more formal description of things to be done for the authentication
  • Alex: might be able to do some work in the next days, will try out my ideas on an actual implementation, as soon as I have something (next week possibly), I will generate some docs like ppt
  • Alex: tooling is not clear for me yet, as soon as we agree on the way to specify things, we will talk about tooling and manifest generation
  • discussion on the naming of artefacts
  • Alex: we want to have a nodeJS graphql implementation running
  • Alex: I can describe the nodeJS and graphql installation and the deployment of json files
  • Gunnar: the wiki page for documenting tihs is AASIG: Implementation notes
  • /TODO/ Alex to describe the nodeJS and graphql installation in the above wiki page
  • Stefan: at Alex, since you have the authentication implementation under way, could you spent some time to describe what you have done so that we can identify the leftovers ?
  • Alex: I can explain that, for instance we need a json web token implementation
  • /TODO/ Alex & Stefan to clarify what could be the contribution of BMW & Tieto to the authentication mechanism implementation

VSS feeder

  • Alex: the scope of work depends on how much simulation we want
  • discussion on how to implement the VSS data base in a limited manner for the purpose of demonstrating the concept
  • Gunnar: for settting the values, would you suggest to use nodeJS code first ?
  • Alex; yes, later we will use someip and so on
  • Review of other work items for the VSS feeder
    • todo finalize permissions layer concept (independent work item)
      • Gunnar: we target a simpler mode of permissions, not a high priority
    • todo create a layer concept for the Franca to VSS leaf mapping (model transformation)
      • not a high priority
    • todo check signal to service translation in Adaptive Autosar
      • not a high priortiy
    • todo agree on PoC use cases for the implementation
      • Alex: this is important for the purpose of concept demonstration,
      • Philippe: proposes to schedule this work item for next Sprint starting early April

Tuesday 18 February - 5:30pm CET

Participants

  • Alex (BMW, software architecture team, connection to Android, finding the best solution to connect AA to BMW cars), Wassim (BMW), Steven Hartley (GM, infotainment connectivity architect, based in Montreal), Guru (Bosch), Andrii (EPAM), Stefan (Tieto), Johan (melco), Stephen (Renesas), Gunnar, Philippe (GENIVI)
  • apologies: Sachin (Mercedes-Benz)

Agenda

  • Roundtable
  • Recap on PoC architectural design
  • Call for participation
  • AOB

Minutes

Recap on PoC architectural design

  • Alex: presents the so-called External Data Server Proof-of-Concept architecture
    • on the right side, this is the Android Automotive based infotainment unit
    • what we did: we tried to open our mind w.r.t. the abstraction to our bordnet interfaces

    • explains the rationale for the work done

      • point #1 is abstraction

      • point #2 is to bring this into the vehicle, this is where we use VISS (the implementation of VSS)

  • Steven: this seems to me a way to solve the deployment of OEMs / Tiers 1 applications

  • Steven: how do you solve the deployment of third party applications ? will this still use the vehicle HAL and the vehicle properties ?

  • Alex: explains we would like to go to Google with this proposal

  • Steven: will you put the VSS server in the appstore ?

  • Alex: we have not considered it yet
  • Steven: how do you intend to go to Google ?
  • Gunnar: we had contact with Google Automotive team in the past, but people have changed, we intend to reach out to Google through OEMs
  • Andrii: only the access to the data is external to the data server , there is some kind of confusion between internal & external data server architecture in my opinion
  • Stephen: we need to think about the safety domain in the vehicle EE architecture, we might have the data server running on the safety domain
  • Andrii: how do you manager the question of permissions for accessing data when the car stops vs the car moves
  • Alex: there are properties in the VSS and we will define groups with permissions that will be enhanced with the manifest files at application level, the management of these 2 set of datas will be probably handled at application level, but this is to confirm
  • Philippe: shows the PoCs we identified and their priorities
  • Philippe: we need an updated version of Vehicle HAL Architectural Design Concepts presenting the various architectural design options

Call for participation to PoC activities

Next events

  • Tuesday 25 February 5pm CET - "all-hands" monthly call : recap of AASIG activities at management level
  • Tuesday 3 March 5pm CET - next Vehicle HAL call
  • calendar invites will be sent

Tuesday 11 February - 5pm CET

Participants

  • Andrii (EPAM), Piotr, Stefan, Viet-Ahn (Tieto), Johan (melco), Suhasini (Analog Devices), Richard (Harman), Stephen (Renesas), Gunnar, Philippe
  • apologies: Sachin, Alex

Agenda

  • Overview of last week's F2F outcome
  • Call for participation
  • AOB

Minutes

Overview of last week's F2F outcome

  • Philippe presents the outcome of the meeting using this slide deck
  • Meeting was productive and the team had a very good collaborative spirit
  • we were able to pass the milestone from the brainstorming stage to a proof-of-concept development stage
  • Gunnar delivers a short description of the  2 Audio HAL proof-of-concepts identified in the meeting (for information for this call participants)
  • Philippe presents the  4 Vehicle HAL pocs identified in the meeting
  • Gunnar delivers a description of the External Data Server concept architectural design
  • Philippe presents also the roadmap for the poc (note that the tech brief roadmap will be aligned to the same)
  • Philippe introduces the work breakdown structure for this poc. Work items will be introduced in Jira once a description and a definition of done is available for each of them.
  • Philippe presents also the intended execution platform for the poc
  • Minutes of the F2F meeting are here
  • Philippe asks participants for their feedback and comments in the wiki

Call for participation

  • Philippe calls for participation in the work items identified for the pocs and also for contributions to the tech briefs.
  • Expectation is to have feedback on AASIG participants commitment no later than the end of the month in order to start the poc asap and meet the first milestone of GENIVI AMM on 12 May.

Vehicle HAL call schedule

  • Philippe proposes to have a weekly period for the Vehicle HAL call starting today
  • Next call will be scheduled on Tuesday 18 February at 5pm CET

Vehicle HAL F2F Meeting 4-5 February

Minutes&Participants

F2F meeting organization

Tuesday 21 January - 5pm CET

Participants

  • Andrey, Johan, Markku, Pontus Fuchs, Stefan K, Stefan W, Piotr, Stephen L, Patrick, Guru, Alexander, Gunnar, Philippe
  • apologies: Sachin

Agenda

  • VSS Layers concept vs. access control groups (Gunnar's presentation)
  • F2F agenda review and preparation organization

Minutes

VSS Layers concept

  • Gunnar: shows the slide deck introducing the VSS layers concept
    • the concept was already presented to the GENIVI CCS project team and is being introduced on the W3C mailing list, positive feedback received
  • Alex: asked a question about the granularity of the access to the data, discussion on the relationship with VSS layers and access groups

  • Piotr: there is another method to access the data called "content provider", it would be good to check the access control with this approach as well

  • the concept will be discussed further at the upcoming F2F

F2F agenda review and preparation organization

  • agenda updated on line, look here

Tuesday 14 January - 5pm CET

Participants

  • Sachin, Stefan, Markku, Marcin, Gunnar, Johan, Alexander, Stephen L, Philippe
  • apologies: Guru

Agenda

  • F2F meeting organization - logistics
  • F2F agenda topics - preparation readiness

Minutes

F2F meeting organization - logistics

  • Alexander: added the address of the BMW office where the meeting will be hosted ("the 4-cylinder building" near the Olympic park) and the list of recommended hotels to the wiki, look here
  • review of the participation list
    • who is interested in the Audio HAL in addition to the Vehicle HAL ?
      • Sachin: could spend half-a-day on Day 2 on the audio HAL
      • Piotr: interested in both topics
      • Patrick (Mobis) interested in both topics, will join remotely
      • Nassim (Mobis) interested in Audio HAL, will attend physically
      • Markku
      • Andrey: Philippe will reach him out to check he can join remotely
    • Philippe: will check the participation of the Audio HAL team members this week

F2F agenda topics - preparation readiness

  • review of TODOs from agenda draft (there) put together during last call
  • TODOs were on the security design
    • Android permission model
      • Stefan has prepared a slide deck on connecting VSS and Android permissions model
    • External service approach
      • /TODO/ Alexander will contact Giovanni about the Adaptive Autosar Identify and Access Management model
    • The VSS Layers concept could be used to put signals into access control groups
      • Gunnar said that some basic ideas are in a presentation he made to the CCS project
      • /TODO/ Gunnar deliver this presentation at the next call Vehicle HAL call (on Tuesday 21 January)

Android permission model

  • Stefan shows this slidedeck,  sample code is there (not uploaded yet)
  • Alex: what is the granularity of the properties ? one application can access to 5 leaves (of the VSS tree) and another to 20 leaves of the VSS tree, how to hande it ?

  • Stefan; this is possible

  • Gunnar: who owns the signing key ?

  • Stefan: the OEM owns it
  • Alex: very good presentation, thanks

Next call

  • Philippe: proposes to have a Vehicle HAL call next Tuesday at 5pm CET (because Tuesday 28 January slot will be occupied by the AASIG All Hands call)
  • all agreed

Tuesday 17 December - 5pm CET

Participants

  • Jimhyuk, Patrick, Pontus, Stefan, Piotr, Gunnar, Guru, Johan, Alexander Stephen L, Philippe
  • apologies: Sachin, Pete

Agenda

  • Next events: calls and F2F meeting organization - date planning - look here
  • F2F agenda: gathering of topics

Minutes

Next events

  • F2F meeting organization - date planning - look here
    • decision  F2F will happen on 4-5 February 2020, location: BMW, Munich, Germany
    • for those who have not filled their participation info yet, please fill the table
  • next calls: 14 January and 28 January 2020 at 5pm CET

F2F agenda

  • list of topics and assignment of preparation work is provided there

Tuesday 3 December - 5pm CET

Participants

  • Stefan, Piotr, Gunnar, Guru, Johan, Pete, Stephen L, Sachin, Viet-Ahn, Philippe, 10 participants
  • apologies: Alexander

Agenda

  • Permission schemes
  • Android Compatibility Definition Document (skipped to next call)
  • Software architectural task force : Vehicle Data architecture for Android
  • Next events: calls and F2F meeting organization - date planning - look here
  • Backlog
    • question to address in the group: what do participating companies intend to do with the JAPI (Java API similar to CommonAPI for Android) ? this building block is currently missing

Minutes

Permission schemes

  • Stefan presents this deck
  • .Sachin: I understood that the properties are not stable yet, do we still need to investigate  properties further ?

  • Stefan: there is only one way to customize the permission via the CAR_VENDOR_EXTENSION, we need to understand this comprehensively

  • discussion follows followed by discussion on implementation

Vehicle Data architecture for Android

  • Philippe: how to relate this to the architectural concepts identified already  ? can someone do some work before EoY ?answer seems to be everyone busy with CES.

Backlog

  • Gunnar introduces shorlty the topic of developing jointly a component implementing Java APIs for Androif

Next events

  • next calls are scheduled on Tuesday 17 December a,d Tuesday 14 January
  • F2F meeting: participation table is here. Please fill it on

Tuesday 19 November - 5pm CET

Participants

  • Sachin, Gunnar, Gerald, Piotr, Pontus, Stefan, Viet-ahn, Guru, Alexander, Philippe
  • Apologies: Johan, Pete,

Minutes

  • Summary of Tech Summit and discussion about the latest architecture pictures.
    • Gunnar shows the update on the architecture made during last week's workshop in Detroit

    • Pictures are included in the (commented) Tech Summit slide deck attached to this page.
  • Proposal for organizing a second F2F meeting before EoY, meeting could possibly hosted by Tieto in Poland
  • /TODO/ Gunnar create a duddle to gather the possible meeting dates and then send the date and other requirements for the meeting to Viet-Ahn
  • /TODO/ Gunnar create a wiki page to gather the inputs and outcome of discussion on the architectural design
  • Alex: we need to identify the building blocks in the architecture diagrams
  • Alex: for instance we need to add the authorization / permission scheme stuff, one approach is to reuse Google permission scheme
  • discussion on ServiceIds in Android
  • Stefan: posts the following link: http://androidxref.com/9.0.0_r3/xref/packages/services/Car/service/src/com/android/car/hal/PropertyHalServiceIds.java
  • Sachin: I would recommend that we look for what we are violated from Google ? what contradicts the certification requirements of the CTS ? IMHO we need to have to look at the level of the standardized requirements that the CTS checks

  • Stefan: IMHO we are not violating anything but a way to check it is to look at the Android Compatibility Definition Document:  https://source.android.com/compatibility/cdd
  • Assignment of work items (for the next meeting)

    1. how permission schemes are managed for custom properties, how access control is managed, vendor extension of the permission (assigned to: Stefan)
    2. reviewing the someip identity and access management,  GPRO has already reviewed this, they need to provide their review results to the Vehicle HAL project (assigned to: GPRO participants)
    3. review of the Android Compatibility Definition Document (assigned to: Sachin)

22 October 2019

slide deck

Minutes in Word

8 October 2019

slide deck

Minutes in Word

25 September 2019

Minutes in Word

10 September 2019

Minutes in Word

VSS-to-SomeIP

28 August 2019

Minutes in Word

Vehicle_Properties_Architecture

VSS presentation (warning) NOTE the current VSS is not at the link listed in this presentation.  It is now stored at https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification

13 August 2019

Minutes in Word

30 July 2019 Project Kickoff Meeting

Minutes in Word

  • No labels