Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Wednesday 2021-06-16

Fixed Agenda:

Project updates (<= 2-4 min each)

ProjectPerson reportingUpdatesComments
  • ioTEA/Vehicle Edge

Thomas Spreckley (tick)

Technology transport abstraction (protocol gateway)

C++ support

Integration test framework + test suites

Rust experiments starting (not visible yet)


  • Kuksa.VAL
Sebastian (tick)Paper describing working with Kuksa (gather data from exhaust system and analyze the values)
  • VISS server implementation in Go
Ulf (tick)

Support for Curve Logging.  Implementation better verified now (connected and compared to Geotab Go-device implementation)


  • VSS & Tools
Gunnar (tick)
Daniel W (tick)

Travis broken... (smile)
Discussion on attributes (constants), how often and if they can change (for example between driving cycles)


  • VSSo
Daniel W (tick)vss2vsso → ready to merge.
  • VSC & Tools
Gunnar (tick)

PR open tweaks some concepts, nested namespaces, clarifies properties.  Properties = VSS signals.  Similar setup.  Discussion on whether it can be done only "in VSS" instead.

NOTE: Planning  in parallel a "fundamental" discussion on the creation of the common services/interface language likely on July 1 workshop.


  • W3C VISS specification
Ulf (tick)

VISS version 2, process started to send it out as First Public Working Draft (first working group approves to go to this state).

Discussion on if some features should be optional.  Candidates for optionality are in the areas of filtering and access control.


  • CCS-client repository
Ulf (tick)

Some smaller fixes after testing in new environment.

Planning to have a tool to transform from Geotab collected data into VSS.  The first step was implemented (to interpolate curve logging formatted data).


  • AOS
Artem (tick)Awaiting big-picture plan first (see below)

Project planning, other topics

Participants

Minutes

  • Quick updates done
  • AOS:
  • Artem: We are working on publishing the appropriate open-source parts.   Protocols, authentication, ...
  •     Authorization service.  Defining access rights.
  •     Gunnar: Definition of access control rights, permissions, etc. are worthwhile to make standard.  Different environment have different needs (e.g. VISS spec, Android Automotive permissions model, etc.) but there are opportunities to design this together.
  • AUTOSAR connection
  • Piotr:  TietoEvry has talked with AR community to propose some concepts.   VehicleGateway (Cloud-to-vehicle connection), conceptual phase started.    Piotr tracking but not part of main design team.  Adam can tell us more.
  • Fill out survey (and ask colleagues who are not as connected to CVII already)
  • July 1 Workshop planning
  • Ted: Best Practices for automotive applications, is progressing well (recent discussions on accessibility aspects).



Wednesday 2021-06-09

Project planning, other topics

  • Student development project (security) – brainstorm implementation topics
  • CVII Workshop planning
  • AOS presentation by Artem

Participants

  • 16 participants
  • Florian, Jeff, Johan, Ulf, Stephen, Gunnar, Philippe, Ted, Daniel W, Artem, Christian K, Dirk, Christian H, Ravi
  • Apologies: Iyyaz

Minutes

  • Development project updates were skipped (missed).  Postponed until next week.
  • Round-table due to new mix of participants
  • Discussed student dev project ideas, link above
  • Discussed CVII workshop plan, link above
  • Artem presented AOS overview
  • Discussions around future plans (overlay architectures from AOS, Bosch-IoTea/Vehicle Edge, CCS and other.  Identify work areas).



Wednesday 2021-06-02

Fixed Agenda:

Project updates (<= 5 min each)

ProjectPerson reportingUpdatesComments
  • ioTEA/Vehicle Edge

Lars-Erich?, Jochen?(error)Waiting for the right people next week.
  • Kuksa.VAL
Sebastian (tick)
  • Bugfix on test / validation of VSS
  • DBC feeder improvements
  • Old experiment on permissions removed (newer approach to JWT based access remains)
  • stress test (new student developer)

  • VISS server implementation in Go
Ulf (error)Curve Logging implemented (Ulf can explain more later)
  • VSS & Tools
Gunnar
Daniel W (tick)

VSS: default should be only for attributes, fixed in tools and removed from non-attributes in VSS itself

Documentation generation fixes

vss-tools→new graphql schema generator
vss to vsso converter still under review (PR)


  • VSSo
Daniel W (tick)vss to vsso converter still under review (PR)
  • VSC & Tools
Gunnar (tick)A VSC generation tool/framework exists.  Templates still todo.
Reconsidering the language definition (maybe use standard Franca IDL?)

  • W3C VISS specification
Ulf (error)

  • CCS-client repository
Ulf (error)

AOS?



Updates on liaisons, alignment track, etc.

Project planning, other topics

  • Starting conversations with/about AOS today
  • CVII Workshop date set for 1 July (1600 CEST, 3h duration)

Minutes

  • Introductions (Artem's first meeting)
  • Brief discussion on AOS (principles, not the technology).  Embedded parts are planned to be open-source.  Process ongoing (outlook - a few months).
  • Artem to give AOS architecture/tech overview next week
  • Artem mentioned Android HAL using a VISS-protocol external server was implemented and shown by EPAM a few years ago.  
    • Gunnar:  So this was before AASIG was started...  It is good input, although current work has considered GraphQL as the protocol for the internal VSS-data server.
    • => Artem to provide a link to the published code.
  • New table-based tracking of wanted/expected/missing tech stack components was added to the CVII Tech Stack overview page  (warning) Feedback/changes welcome!
    • This could drive priority discussions also
  • Sub-topics moved to separate pages for deeper analysis, e.g. protobuf (already existed), mqtt (new), etc.
  • Eclipse: short discussion on the liaison with Eclipse, to be followed up with the Bosch team



Wednesday 2021-05-25

Project updates (<= 5 min each)


ProjectPerson reportingUpdatesComments
  • ioTEA/Vehicle Edge

Lars-Erich?, Jochen?

  • Kuksa.VAL
Sebastian

VISS server - PR 190 - now apply default values if given in input catalog.


  • VISS server implementation in Go
UlfFull implementation of Curve Logging (see Tech Brief page) included now.
  • VSS & Tools
Gunnar
Daniel (tick)
vss-tools:  Array size support (caused warnings before)
Bug in instantiation code fixed.

  • VSSo
Daniel (tick)

  • VSC & Tools
Gunnar

  • W3C VISS specification
Ulf

  • CCS-client repository
Ulf

AOS?



Updates on liaisons, alignment track, etc.

  • Main topic right now is liaison with ISO group W6 for Extended Vehicle to discuss (potentially) introduction of data model definition in ExVe work.
  • Plan for a small-scale meeting with some engineers involved in the activity.
  • A deeper technical alignment work is required for SENSORiS.  It could be done by a volunteer or a small working group meeting  (doing the work, not talking about what could be done).

Project planning, other topics

  • Upcoming - overlay architectures and plans from VehicleEdge, CCS, AOS, plus the VSS-tools, VSC-tools and various plans discussed in this meeting.  The purpose is to combine these into a view of the full tech stack.
  • Gunnar reached out to EPAM for participation

Minutes

  • Many vacations in Germany this week affects today's attendance.
  • Gunnar: Some things might need to be repeated next week, but let's run a dress-rehearsal of the fixed agenda today.  Starting with updates.
  • Sebastian: Note the upcoming Eclipse Conference.  There will be a presentation on KUKSA.VAL, but also other interesting things.
  • Gunnar: (Tip from Stephen).  Note also this Embedded virtual conference starting June 3rd (several strong embedded Linux talks in the agenda).
  • AOS, first look for related code:



Wednesday 2021-05-19

  • Sebastian suggests every meeting should start with a project-update from each component development project, including IOT-event-analytics, and others. 
    • Start this next week.
  • Gunnar notes that we should have clearer indication of who is attending/not every week.  Better structure and discipline for attendance, (and for agenda of course).  Time-boxing can be used if people only want to be on part of the meeting.
  • Not much progress on VS* to AUTOSAR tooling this week.  Piotr had to leave meeting.
  • Basic VSC generation framework now on GENIVI github → vsc-tools
  • More VSS-to-bindings tools might come out open-source licensed, from another OEM's development
  • A look at aoscloud.io - Renesas and EPAM.  Some open-source components.  Renesas has used VSS and VISSv1 in previous demos.  We are hopeful for setting up collaborative work on overlapping areas.
  • Collecting up some more related SW project (some older, some newer):

Wednesday 2021-04-21

Agenda

  • Development related to integrating with AUTOSAR
  • "Plan B" on VSC tooling development - discuss options
  • Bosch I-O-Tea and Vehicle Edge evaluation

Notes

  • Integrations to AUTOSAR
    • Tieto platform running, ready to use for investigations
    • Gunnar:  For "Any"2Autosar tooling, first step is usually a definition of the mapping (spread-sheet showing language features that map to each other, where is it simple, where are challenges, etc.)
  • VSS2ara would be basically solving the "autosar side" of the system, similar to how Franca → AUTOSAR XML converter was used with AUTOSAR.
  • Alternative is to first focus on the "non-AUTOSAR" side of systems, e.g. generate a SOME/IP binding directly, or DDS, or other.  (VSS/VSC to SOME/IP binding directly).
  • ASAM service oriented diagnostics seems interesting.


  • "Plan B"
    • The VSC-related tooling is taking even longer time to go through company legal reviews and final approvals for releasing it with an open source license, although there is a clear desire to get it done.
    • A discussion started on how to develop a first set of tools in parallel with waiting for the other.


Wednesday 2021-04-14

Notes

           Cloud

  • Iyyaz:  Regarding demo (AMM).  Docker-based stack and Terraform is being developed.

Wednesday 2021-04-07

Notes

  • Tieto setting up internal meetings to figure out what to do next with the plans on AUTOSAR interoperability. 

        ... planning to build on VSC tooling
        ... Gunnar: Plan translation mapping and templates can start early

  • Iyyaz has prepared some notes .  E.g. what is "the edge" by definition?



Wednesday 2021-03-31

Notes

Wednesday 2021-03-24

  • pipeline and configmanager come from IoT-event-analytics repository = Northbound
  • kuksa val, hal interface+adapter, vss2iotea part of vehicle-edge = Southbound
  • Dirk: There should be some useful UML diagrams.
  • Christian to find the presentations/pictures that are useful here and attach to CVII Tech Stack page.
  • Tieto still working on setting up AUTOSAR environment and planning.
  • Discussed the need to coordinate development plans (e.g. bindings to DDS, SOME/IP, and-or code generators) to avoid overlap.
  • Gunnar create a home page for Vehicle-Edge stack analysis and information.

Wednesday 2021-03-17

Notes

  • Update on protobuf tool (merged)
  • Bosch code released for IOT-event-analytics framework, and the vehicle-edge project to bring together all parts of the stack. 
  • Discussion on AUTOSAR tooling
    • TietoEVRY to continue to seek out relevant people, bring into a design discussion meeting.
  • Franca / FARACON vs VSC development
  • VSC code generation framework coming soon. Discussing what to expect.
  • Planning the CVII related sessions at GENIVI AMM, May 4-7.

Wednesday 2021-03-10


Agenda

  • Updates on topics below
  • Protobuf continued.
  • Bosch

Notes

  • Bosch: Code related to the demo on the CVII workshop will be on an open repository within 1-2 weeks.
  • Discussion about organization of the different parts of CVII.  → TODO link for "org.chart" and Common Vehicle Interface Initiative - Activity Matrix.
  • confirming Signal2Service not a likely input to our work (no demonstrator, no plans at the moment)
  • ZOOM (smile) KEEPS KICKING ME OUT...
  • Waiting....
  • Can someone take over leadership?


Wednesday 2021-03-03

  • Adam K / Piotr: AUTOSAR - Signal2Service is not really implemented yet.
    • Some VSS to AUTOSAR tooling seems to make sense therefore
    • Tieto want to start  working on this.  First steps is getting runtime platform setup working. Then the design of VSS↔AUTOSAR can start (and be discussed).
  • Quick look at CVII Tech Stack technologies - Protobuf again.
  • Need for full software architecture focus in this project.
    • Separation of safety-critical technologies and info/entertainment/other.  What is being targeted exactly? 
    • Where in a typical architecture are we working?
    • VSS itself is orthogonal to safety/other question.  However, the chosen technologies and implementations may need to be classified from safety perspective.
    • Clarify where different proposals belong. E.g. "MQTT is unlikely in safety domain, right?"
    • Agreement on which technology to use where.
  • Images to show architecture.
  • Big software release announcement next week...
  • Virtualization important aspect to consider.

Wednesday 2021-02-24

  • AUTOSAR - Tieto/EVRY still interested but other priorities came up so the time plan not clear at this point.
  • Signal2Service - check if spec released and if applicable
  • Look at defining the representation of data in AUTOSAR-XML (to prepare VSS to ARXML conversion)
    • FARACON tool would be one approach.  Create a Franca IDL file with some observable data ("Attributes" in FIDL) and run the conversion, study the result.  There is a comprehensive mapping between Franca ↔ ARXML that should be correct.
  • MQTT 
    • VISS over MQTT (Ulf) has been described in W3C Automotive working group.
      • It is embedding VISS in MQTT with a small control protocol defined (over MQTT).
      • Access control strategy is identical to standard VISS. 
        • Topic needs to be "protected" somehow or anyone could listen/inject to traffic.
      • Give some time to let this idea mature before it becomes part of any official specifications.  New ideas and improvements may come up.
    • A more direct VSS-to-MQTT topic mapping is a different and complementary alternative
    • Sebastian:  Publishing to MQTT is easy.  For writing more work required (because access control details not done yet).
      • Steps:  Define the payload message format
      • Steps:  Describe the access control strategy (clients have access to a subset of topics)
      • Steps:  Deciding implementation language and reuse libraries
  • Protobuf – think about how to represent messages - this page

Wednesday 2021-02-17

Workshop preparation

Shortlist of working items:

  • General efficient message format (JSON and Binary).  For use in many contexts, e.g. MQTT, and SOME/IP and other.
    • For JSON, consider VISS spec
    • VISS spec also has a "compressed" format (unique to VISS)
    • Discussion about having a more "standard" format for binary/efficient encoding.  MsgPack is somewhere in between (like compressed/binary JSON) whereas describing a schema in Protobuf or AVRO or similar will generate an efficient encoding from the schema.
  • Define mapping to AUTOSAR technologies, ARA:COM (AUTOSAR XML) and/or SOME/IP or DDS specifically.  In other words how is a signal definition converted to a 'Service'?  Or should it simply be observable properties (Fields in SOME/IP).
  • The AUTOSAR spec Signal2Service seems still unclear to many.  Perhaps further investigation required.
  • Can we define the actual purpose of the specification?  If so, there is opportunity for any one here to propose potential solutions or to 'unstuck' this activity somehow.


Wednesday 2021-02-10

MQTT (and general design) discussion

  • SSL/TLS setup between MQTT server and MQTT client could have bi-directional authentication (checking also client certificate)
  • Authentication method for the initial CONNECT can be any one that client+server both support. 
  • One approach is to allow any client to get any MQTT topic, but the data itself is encrypted and then only those who can decrypt have access to the data in practice.
  • Another (VISS and other) consider applying filters on the signals (MQTT:topics) that you can actually request.    E.g. Vehicle/Cabin/Temperature.  E.g. Mosquitto plugins can be used for this.
  • VSS Layer (<link) a possibility to define permissions groups (for any of the technology choices or approaches above).
  • Bosch proposes the use of the SSI approach: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-sovereign_identity
    • ... but SSL/TLS is also required in some environments e.g. across internet


Open areas for getting started on implementation

  • Mapping VSS to popular cloud/infrastructure technologies Apache Kafka/Spark/NiFi etc. 
  • What about VSSo?
  • Which existing technologies do VSSo fit into?
    • VSSo maps well to GraphQL (or SPARQL of course).  Web-of-things ← is there an obvious implementation/framework to use in implementing?
      • For GraphQL there is Apollo, Neo4j, maybe others.
    • Protege / Webprotege  ← development/analysis of ontology/data?

Action:  Collect more information from more companies about preferred technologies/implementations.

Wednesday 2021-02-03

US friendly time 17:00 CET

Agenda

  • project scoping
  • upcoming CVII workshop

Participants

  • Christian H, Christian K, Dirk, Sebastian (Bosch)
  • Niclas (Volvo Cars)
  • Kevin (High Mobility), Ulf (Geotab), Iyyaz (Cobrasphere) (GENIVI CCS project participants)
  • Piotr, Michal, Dariuz, Adam, Stefan, (TietoEVRY)

  • Ted (W3C), Gunnar, Stephen, Philippe (GENIVI)

Notes

project scoping

  • review of CVII Tech Stack, updated on line

  • Dirk shows latest status of Bosch VAPP project implementation, slide deck can be shared once the code is published in the open

upcoming CVII workshop

Wednesday 2021-01-27

US friendly time 17:00 CET

Agenda

  • project scoping
  • AOB

Participants

  • Sebastian, Christian K, Dirk, Gerald (Bosch)
  • Niclas (Volvo Cars)
  • Kevin (High Mobility), Ulf (Geotab), Iyyaz (Cobrasphere) (GENIVI CCS project participants)
  • Rex (Saferide)
  • Piotr, Michal, Dariuz, Adam, Stefan, (TietoEVRY)

  • Ted (W3C), Gunnar, Stephen, Philippe (GENIVI)

Notes

Project scoping

  • discussion starts with MQT, discussion is based on the content of CVII Tech Stack

  • Sebastian:  this is a preferred techno, but what should be the reference implementation for the mapping of VSS to MQTT ?

  • discussion on code vs specs

  • Christian K: code does not lie

  • Ted: but it can have bugs (as can specs)

  • Ted: a server in cloud could return VSS JSON or VSSo RDF (or other formats) through content negotiation from the same end points based on client preferences

  • Christian K: I am convinced there will other standards than CVII in the air, Sensoris for instance, we have already vehicles in development that use Sensoris and I would like to give an opportunity to sync with CVII in the future

  • TODO Christian K to contact Sensoris and make the liaison happen with them

  • discussion on the interface to AUTOSAR
  • Sebastian: we do not need to dig deeply into Adaptive Autosar, our interface point is rather someip for instance

  • Dirk: I would assume both data & service mapping with Autosar

  • Rex: signal-to-service mapping

  • Ted: back to SENSORiS, a mapping may be sufficient for this activity and translators can be created by those who need them. likely would be welcome in GENIVI repo if created, HERE previously showed me some mappings they maintain

  • Christian K: TSN, ARA::COM are deeply embedded when we go so deep, we will lose the opportunity to do any abstraction

  • TODO all to define what are the high level objectives of constructing an AUTOSAR connection

  • Christian K: AUTOSAR  is so much in the safety world that it will be difficult to build cool things with them

  • Sebastian: we want the data from below, i.e. from the safety world, do we want to write safety critical applications on top of VSC ?

  • Gunnar: IMHO VSC can describe a safety critical application but will not implement it

  • Dirk: what is the targeted runtime environment ? is the vehicle computer or a deeply embedded ECU ?

  • short discussion between Christian K, Dirk and Gunnar

  • Gunnar: IMHO the model could apply to any system whatever it safe or not

  • Christian: we will take this offline

  • Michal: VSS to MQTT , what is the preferred language to implement the translation ?

  • Dariuz: I have some experience with MQTT and I am interesting in this translator but not familiar with C++ for instance

  • SebastianLet's all use RUST :)

  • Gunnar: we could start with python first and see where it goes, but if Tieto says we use Rust, please do it, you know the industry better

  • Michal and Dariuz: volunteer for the translator

  • Adam: we can bring some feedback on AUTOSAR for the next call



  • No labels