Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Project Meeting, Thursday 5 September, 2019, 5pm CET 

Minutes

Project Meeting, Thursday 22 August, 2019, 5pm CET 

Minutes

Project Meeting, Thursday 8 August, 2019, 5pm CET - WATCH OUT this is a project restart

Minutes



Project Meeting, Wednesday April 25, 2018, 0900 CET

Minutes

  • Very low attendance today but a good active conversation with Alpine.  The reminder went out too late, but clearly there's also an issue with the regular attendance and the recurring meeting being prioritized in the calendars? 
  • Despite good attendance interest and discussion at AMM session, the weekly meetings need a reboot and a renewed conversation with participants.
  • It's likely that the meeting time is not optimal for many – poll for new time.  But there's also seemingly a lack of resources working actively on this.  (Debugging is a secondary topic for most code developers - it sort of happens when needed only).  Clear/unclear project goals may also attract/detract interest.
  • It is now necessary to reach out to the community about interest, meeting time, and project content.

SHDA working session - Spring AMM Munich - 18 April 2018

Participants
Opensynergy Matti
Adit
Irdeto bewin
BMW dlt viewer maintainer
BMW dlt Alex Wenzel former dlt maintainer
LGE
Mentor
Ivis
Hyundai
BMW Car-IT x 4
Itemis, Klaus
Mobis X 2
Nishio-san, Alpine, GENIVI UML model maintainer
+ Some more participants from Korea (if you were there, please write your name)
3/4 room full
half the attendees do not know about the project
Intro (Gunnar) - see slide deck
===============================
use cases:
- debugging (during development)
- system health (when product is deployed): e.g. watchdog
- logging (during development and sometimes in deployed products)
- tracing (during development and sometimes in deployed products)
BMWCarit agrees with the use cases
Slide from DIRO report shown on Tuesday about managing integration complexity
added in the scope: security threat evaluation / mitigation
not primarily looking at these aspects though
Slide from DIRO report shown on Tuesday about the development being too long (gpro <-> shda)
Review of presentations performed in Q1, 2018
look at https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/display/DIRO/SHDA+meeting+minutes - Technologies to investigate
Guider:lightweight tool, text based
CDL: data gathering
Solys
Dlt, multinode DLT
OpenADX
etc.
Polling the audience about tool usage
=====================================
BMW: mainly using DLT for debugging, sometimes we add dlt viewer plugins
For performance analysis we use other tools like systemtap, kernel tracing
Elektrobit/Torsten: interested in knowing how the hypervisor is working and how the Linux is working, for instance one cannot see a virtual device form outside
DLT will not help for real performance problems.
Talked to QNX and GHS about the analysis of performance problems and asked them to provide different solutions to meet our needs
Opensynergy
Profiling data would help, there are some standard formats,
is there an interest in profiling data using a standard approach ?
Elektrobit/Torsten
It is necessary to do it. I often
Opensynergy
we need to correlate data, what is the correlated data timebase ?
Elektrobit/Torsten
nanoseconds
Someone mentioned Ethernet AVB (for time sync)
Gunnar
TSN / AVB could be used for timing sync sometimes, but we need a more generic solution
BMW Car IT
Understanding a distributed system does not require a so detailed time analysis
you have rather to understand the sequence / logical set of events
we need to understand the abstracted behaviors
IMHO this is not possible using one single tool
Gunnar:
is there work to do to unify data format for a more abstract tracing.
(i.e. "events" and "messages", etc. -- this was following onto the idea of
low level tooling such as kernel trace tools, which has a bit of standards in
Linux for tracing data format)
Elektrobit/Torsten
currently I have to transform format in order to perform the analysis.
(Torsten writes his own tools and data transformations whenever needed)
Opensynergy/Matti:
Operating systems should not be able to log other operating system resources (?)
Opensynergy/Matti
How bad are ascii textfiles above more structured data ? We prefer using grep
BMW: 
DLT is not so much in advance of that, but is much better that text/grep
(Gunnar: I'm wondering about more structured data formats for automate processing. Agree there is *some* structure to DLT - at least each component has its own code, and each message is time stamped -- implying that the source (on component level) is one thing you can filter on, and of course log level).
Elektrobit/Torsten
I am still text based and use emacs for search
BMW:
you need a database, the text format is not sufficient
Elektrobit/Torsten:
you need both. I dump my data into a database also. Doing SQL queries can be useful.
I could release why I am doing in the open source because this is personal work, not sponsored by EB, however I use this tooling for debugging things at EB
Wrapup
======
DLT seems to deserve some investigation
comment from a participant refering to an commercial opportunity for new tools
Nikola/GHS: 
DLT with additional multinode is a good tool
Tools to understand the high level interaction are also good
We target both HV and distributed systems
BMWCarit: I am interested in assessing the system stability, 
(but also improve how to build stable systems -- my work includes not only technology, also things all the way up to development process)
Gunnar:the whole development process is perhaps a little too wide scope for this project, but the technology is interesting.







Project Meeting April 4, 0900 CET

Agenda

  • New Presentation and discussion: Guider Project
  • Discuss OpenADX project collaboration


Minutes

  • Presentation by Peace Lee - Guider project. 

    • Requires only Linux >=3.0, Python 2.7 and FTRACE kernel config
    • Thread & function profilers, cpu, mem, I/O.
    • Run in foreground or background (collect log, analyze later)
    • Graphs for visualization
    • Guider can run over network (e.g. use socat)
    • Can collect from multiple systems at the same time.
    • Gunnar: What is the format of saved logs?  What are potentials for integration with other tools?
    • Peace: There should not be special formats I don't think, but it is a bit difficult to integrate/share with other tools.  If you know of a standard format, I can change to follow the standard.

 OpenADX

  • Discussion with Lars and Paul about OpenADX project, synergies with GENIVI projects.
  • Intro by Lars - some repetition from previous Renesas intro
  • TraceCompass and similar analysis tools
  • Lars: This is an addition but not the main focus of OpenADx.  Primary focus now is AD-supporting functions such as simulations, which are necessary for any AD development.  Still interested in this, and in future potential.  We should keep in touch to collaborate

Project Meeting March 28, 0900 CET

Agenda

  • - Add to list of technologies
  • Quick review kick-off slides (look at definitions and project goals slides)
  • Group input on deliverables
  • Planning OpenADX addition to Software Development Environment
  • Discuss evaluation of DDS in GPRO
  • Review future topics, anything to add?
  • Brainstorm Additional Technologies


Minutes


Additional Technologies (based on the definitions)

• System Health 
Automated monitoring and remedy of problems, wrongful behavior and warning signs during normal operation (product is deployed)

  • Node Health Monitor review, usage and extension?

• Debugging 
Finding and fixing software defects, once the effect of the defect has been noticed. (During product development).

  • basic Unix tools like *top (CPU, IO, etc.) → Guider

• Logging
Reporting of internal state using potentially free form, for the purpose of understanding the system (development, sometimes in deployed product)

  • DLT
  • syslog → syslog-ng (Linux)
  • what exists cross-domain & cross-operatingsystem?

• Tracing

Structured and detailed logging of internal system state, such that it enables automated processing (development, sometimes deployed)

  • Common standards and tooling are (cross-domain & cross-operating system) do not exist?  OpenADX viewpoint on this?





Project Meeting March 21, 0900 AM CET

Agenda

Participants

  • Philippe Robin (Genivi)
  • Sebastian (Elektrobit)
  • Wonchan (LGE)
  • Dohyoung Kim (IVIS)
  • Gunnar Andersson (GENIVI)
  • Remigiusz Kollataj (Mobica)

Minutes

EB solys is more a framework, it provides the tooling for analyzing different kinds of data, it is event-based, every data item is time stamped, it provides a means to correlate the data across several data channels
target agent was used on QNX, Android, Windows CE, Windows Embedded
the target agent code for Android is different
we use poco framework and google protobuf, it is implemented in cpp11

licensing model
unlimited usage of downloadable sw
30 days of pro features which are the scripting capabilities

mobica: useful base, needs customization
ivis: feature wise it is good, how to connect this tool to the autosar domain ? both CP & AP (Classic Platform, Adaptive Platform)
EB: if you use DLT as the tracing & logging framework in CP, DLT files can be imported into solys
EB: for AP, if it is a linux-based implementation, all the features shown apply

connection to Franca IDL
Torsten would be the right contact
look at itemis blog site for some information

solys agent code: https://github.com/Elecktrobit/eb-solys-target-agent

Project Meeting March 14 was CANCELLED

Project Meeting March 7, 0900 AM CET

Agenda

  • OpenADx details (Renesas)

Minutes

TODO

Project Meeting February 28, 0900 AM CET

  • Agenda
    • the objective of the call is to followup on actions after last week's initial call and to agree on presentations for the next weeks

    • Clarification of OpenADx and related projects
    • Elektrobit/Solys joining, and short discussion

Minutes

TODO

Kick-off and Scoping meeting February 21, 10am CET

  • Agenda
    • the objective of the call is to start scoping the project which will investigate the areas listed on the project page
  • slide deck
  • no recording was made


Participants:


  • Philippe Robin, GENIVI
  • Gunnar Andersson, GENIVI
  • Mark Goodchild, Renesas/OpenAD
  • Stephen Lawrence, Renesas
  • Suhyung, LGE
  • Woosock, LGE
  • Dohyoung Kim, IVI-Solution
    • Additional colleagues in the room
  • Daniel Zimmermann, Intel
  • Samiran,   ACL
  • Subramanian, Alpine
  • Christian Schulenberg, BMW
  • Birk Bremer, BMW
  • Guru, Bosch
  • Marco Residori, Mentor

          
Roundtable presentations (missed 1-2 who joined later)
Intro to Domain-interaction and this project by Gunnar
Review of scope & definitions
Birk: BMW would not limit the Debug to product development, e.g. core dumps from the field are useful and can be debugged
Gunnar:  OK, let's change it to "mainly" during development
Marc : Agree with the definitions

Comments on system health.

Went through project goal ideas.

Gunnar: Asking for project lead volunteer.
Marc: The project sounds interesting, but need to check with colleagues/management for the scope of engagement
Gunnar: Yes I expect most everyone needs to do that now that you have a feel for the project purpose

Which technologies should we study?

BMW: points out all data loggers we are using at BMW rely on DLT - [i.e. commercial vendors support this also]
Daniel - intel: when will this project come to life ?  Time plan, deliverables, for example what has been reached at end of  this year?

Gunnar: All the way to end of year I'd personally like to see most of the goals met, and maybe the project being "done".  (We should work towards achieving results in reasonable time)  This is the interest/scoping meeting however, so it's impossible to make firm predictions before knowing who will get heavily involved to produce the results.  It is really up to all of you as project participants!


<

  • No labels