The sessions will be designed to actively engage up to 20 participants equipped with their own laptop. Yocto builds will be performed within a virtual machine (VM). The aim is to provide the most productive participant experience possible. The virtual machines files will be made available in the pre-hands-on session, Wednesday 9:00 to 9:30. They will be available over the medium of USB sticks, and over the network if networking permits.
Check the content of these Hands On Sessions in the GDP at AMM wiki page.
- Core i5 or i7 system (64-bit)
- 8GB physical RAM or higher
- SD card reader
- If your laptop does not have a built-in SD card reader, we advise you bring in a USB SD reader
- USB 2.0 port
- Oracle VirtualBox 5.0 or newer (Free)
- 4096MB of RAM allocatable to the VM
- For Windows users: download and install PuTTY
- or WinSCP, basically any way of using ssh and virtual consoles on Windows.
- Your own SD card(s) to take a rootfs home with you.
- An FTDI cable (for raspberry PI)
- A USB A-> USB B micro cable (for Porter)
- 64 GB USB storage (for transferring VM images)
- 40 x free power sockets for powering the target hardware, and participants' laptops
- 20 x desk and chair sitting configuration with enough space for a laptop and a target board
- 20 x Ethernet network connections (for target hardware)
- 01 x video projector for presenter
- 01 x microphone with audio amplification for presenter
- 01 x Internet access via Ethernet connection for presenter (and power)
- 20 x 1Gb Ethernet network connections (for VMs access, on the assumption that WiFi will also work but wired is preferrable)
- 01 x Shared Internet access with all participants
- 40 x DHCP addresses for hands-on session room Ethernet segment
Participants are expected to know how to:
- operate virtual machines using VirtualBox
- have general knowledge of
- C programming language and Object Oriented software development
- GNU/Linux environment
- CLI development tools
- Sufficient knowledge of the Yocto build system to set up their build environment and start a build
Presentation material will be provided on the day of the training to simplify the participants ability to follow-on.